Troubleshooting When a Washing Machine Will Not Spin Properly:
Correcting problems that occur with your washing machine will require knowing where to look for the problem. This can be accomplished by determining what the washer is supposed to be doing based on the cycle that it is on. When the washer enters the spin cycle but does not start to spin, you will need to see if there is a solution or fix that is needed to get the spin cycle working again.
Perform the Following 6-Step Diagnosis:
- Open the lid to the machine and see if the clothes are clumped to one side of the tub. This will result in an unbalanced tub, which can prevent it from spinning.
- Reposition the clothes in the tub and then close the lid to see if the tub begins to spin.
- Open the door for the circuit panel of your home and see if a breaker has tripped. Reset the breaker see if the washer starts to spin.
- Verify that the power cord has not been disconnected from the electrical outlet. Plug the cord back in if it is disconnected to restart the spin cycle.
- Open the lid to the washer and see if it is still full of water. If water is still in the machine, examine the end of the drain hose and verify if it is plugged. Remove any obstruction to let the water drain out. After the water has drained, the spin cycle will start.
- Verify that the lid of the washing machine is making contact with the switch. Close the lid firmly and see if it begins to spin. Open the lid and push the switch down with your finger. If the washer starts to spin, the lid is not making proper contact with the switch.
Most common causes of a Top Load Washer not spinning:
The Washing Machine Lid Switch May be Defective
If it is, the washing machine doesn’t spin. The switch is inside the washing machine main housing near the door frame. Often you have to raise or open the top or front of the washing machine to get to the switch. If it’s defective, you need to replace it.
The Motor Coupler May be Broken
Many Whirlpool®-manufactured washers use a small, relatively inexpensive motor coupling. It’s plastic and rubber and is mounted to the shaft of the motor on one side, and to the transmission on the other. Over time, the coupler wears out and fails. You may need to replace it.
A Belt May be Broken or Timer Malfunction
Many washing machines have one or two belts. If a belt is broken or badly worn, you need to replace it with a genuine belt from the manufacturer. (Some washing machine belts are designed with special characteristics not found in automotive belts.)
The Transmission May Not be Shifting Properly
Older washers produced by Whirlpool® have a transmission with an electro-mechanical shifter. If the shifter becomes even partially defective, the unit may drain the water but not spin. This is a complex system, if your washer has a shifter problem, you may want to hire a qualified appliance repair technician to repair it.
Simple 1, 2, 3 Diagnosis for a Front Load Washing Machine that Won’t Spin:
The most common mechanical causes for a Front Load Washing Machine not spinning are the Door-Lock, Water Pump, Motor or Motor Drive Unit. Depending on the brand the solutions will vary. In our years of front load washing machine we suggest this 3-step diagnosis:
- Open the door and determine if the machine has water in it. If there is water inside the machine the pump may be clogged. Some brands have a trap that is easily accessible and can be cleaned out with relative ease.
- Inspected that circuit panel of your home and see if the breaker has tripped. Reset the breaker see if the washer starts to spin.
- Make sure HE soap is being used. If not remove the clothes, place liquid fabric softener and restart the machine using the cold water setting.
Washer and Dryer Repair in Las Vegas and Clark County
When a washer or dryer doesn’t work properly, it can feel like the end of the world with all of our dirty clothes piling up. Paul’s Washer and Dryer Repair makes on-site repairs in the Las Vegas and Clark County area, so there is no need to move the appliance.
Simply schedule an appointment with Paul’s Washer and Dryer Repair and one of our experienced and highly-qualified appliance repair technicians will be at your door to fix your washing machine or dryer in the comfort and convenience of your own home or business.